Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Poll: Improving TMA
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is it important to be able to select faster TMA marking frequencies?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 14 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 21

timmyg00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well lucky for me, there were people junior to me to get stuck with the CEP... the piloting party, however, was my baby during the maneuvering watch. Secondary plot, occasionally primary plot, and the even rarer stint at the scope. All this after a 6-or-so-hour watch on the radar, in the dark... usually a long night Laughing By the time we hit two-minute rounds, i was running on caffeine fumes...

Never had to man the more complex plots; my battle station was in ESM Wink

TG
Bubblehead555

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmyg00 wrote:

TG

WLR-8? and old 640 type?
Titigel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak on behalf of anybody else other than myself, but there sure were times when I was hanging above the plot waiting for that next bearing line to pop up; times when an enemy sub at close range suddenly knew that something was wrong (you can understand that when it suddenly speeds up, from the demon, or from the intensity of the signal) and you want to know which direction he's turning. Also,sometimes the broadband view is too messy, full of contacts that overlap;then, at close range, you can't rely on the broadband or narrowband view, you have to wait for the tracker to give you the update.The time interval is a valuable parameter to control in my opinion. We should have from 10 mins to 30 secs, each limiting value used in tottaly different scenarios.
Also, controlling the JWC would be very important.
timmyg00

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubblehead555 wrote:
timmyg00 wrote:

TG

WLR-8? and old 640 type?
WLR-8 (688(I) version, i think it was the (V)2 or (V)5)... I wanted WLQ-4 school but there were no openings. ADF and other goodies were added when I got out.

I loved that watchstation... maybe someday these sims will include user classification of ESM contacts... but i don't want to stray off-topic. Let's get back to the TMA updates Very Happy

TG
Three14

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acronym death....

So, how is Time Frequency Plot used? What's the idea? Doppler shifting?

Can you have TMA time intervals that are simply filtered? If you pick 30 secs you have the 30 second data...but you can switch to 2 minutes and get the historical 2 minute data only.

TMA plot should be a little bigger, too, while we're on TMA. That little corner of the screen isn't enough for me and there's a lot of stuff on the right side that I don't need to see all the time.
compressioncut

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a TFP (acronym!) uses Doppler effects to inform you of the target's movement.

Its main benefit is that the TBP can take quite some time to show a change in pattern, after the target of interest, or you, has made a manoeuvering change. That's because a TBP is heavily influenced by range - a long range means slow bearing movement, no matter what. A TFP shows a change immediately, because Doppler is heavily aspect dependent. No matter what the range, Doppler will change if the target alters.

The mechanics of the TFP are similar to a TBP, but you plot two frequencies over a constant frequency. Frequency received (fR) is the measurement from the sensor, and frequency corrected (fC) is the number after you remove own-ship doppler effect. Those two plots are run over a constant, the natural frequency of the tonal you have, frequency naught (f0), which acts as a reference point. fC is obviously the key number, here.

You want the highest frequency, continually operated machinery tonal you can get, so it shows the most relative Doppler shift. That is very difficult when pitted against a modern submarine, and is probably the major drawback to the TFP.

Anyway, in real life a TFP is used mostly as a check against the TBP, because the TBP will give you the most generally accurate ranges, courses, and speeds (in training, I find the TFP gives the best ranging, due to the fact that there are no measurement errors, which are inherent in real bearing measurements) - the equation you use, the Frequency Rate Ekelund, squares the bearing rate, and as that is the least accurate variable you have, it ends up with a lot of error in the final number. That said, I learned a new equation for TFP ranging last week and am anxious to try it out.
NefariousKoel

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how to improve TMA.

Fix the ruler from jumping when you release it. That is all I really want. I'm missing patches of hair from my head - caused by this frustration in SC.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: