Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

now hear this .

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oscar19681

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: now hear this . Reply with quote

i know i,m gonna get flamed for this .

but what i would love to see is?

* more screens
* what shiii options will be?
* a SHIII website
* much more insight on what the crew will be like.
* maybe if all above will not yet be possible? why not have a
sort of spokesman which has contact with the dev team for the
fans ?

can anyone enlight me on this? maybe neal??
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drebbel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
neal

????

Many people have gotten KP for writing his name like that Laughing Laughing Laughing

I sure hope for you that Sharkstooth does not read it.
oscar19681

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats kp?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wolfy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about Sharkey seeing that.. The water here is too warm for her... She doesn't like it.. Laughing

Isn't it too early to be seeing all this stuff though? Confused
NeonSamurai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the above will eventualy come, just be patient Smile
montecarlo_75

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KP= Kitchen Patrol if I'm not mistaken... The royal #@%$ detail...
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitchen Police, actually. The KP here is refering to Sharkstooth's punishment page over at Sub Club. It's kind of a running gag.
Check out this thread, and the link in Sharkey's first post. http://207.44.164.159/phpBB_subclub/viewtopic.php?t=9260
Oskar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: now hear this . Reply with quote

Quote:
* more screens
* what shiii options will be?
* a SHIII website
* much more insight on what the crew will be like.

Easy to say , I just think ihe same, weŽll have to wait years `nŽyears anyway, so why donŽt fed us with some more details to keep moral up? Will we see Sylvester Stallone as a helmsman?
The SH III Team should scsan themselves for the basics on the virtual crew, that will be more realistic than these rambos!
montecarlo_75

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellody All,

Thanks for the correction, wasn't aware of the 'Police' bit, but the theory still stands the same. Still don't understand the KP gag, but I guess that's because I'm a newbie and wasn't around... Oh well, sometimes its best for people to have inside jokes.

On the subject of updates, screenshots, and whatnots: I'd rather see a well rounded, complete simulation that is dropped on our heads without warning than a thrown-together, half-baked game that is well documented along the way. Just my two-cents worth though...

Although it would be nice to have some idea of how it's going... Confused

Y'all have a nice day~ Ryan
RobertH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I agree with most as far as not really concerned yet with screenies etc.

BUT if they do indeed expect to have this out by the end of this yr surely they have to be somewhat further along then some of us think unless of course they do beleive they can put a good sim together in a matter of 10 months or so..... I wouldn't bet on that (a good sim in 10 months). The only way I could see them making an outstanding game in this short of time is if they are using game engines etc that are already availible and I only hope and pray the only thing this game shares with SH2 is the name.......

Robert
oscar19681

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RobertH"]Although I agree with most as far as not really concerned yet with screenies etc.

BUT if they do indeed expect to have this out by the end of this yr surely they have to be somewhat further along then some of us think unless of course they do beleive they can put a good sim together in a matter of 10 months or so..... I wouldn't bet on that (a good sim in 10 months). The only way I could see them making an outstanding game in this short of time is if they are using game engines etc that are already availible and I only hope and pray the only thing this game shares with SH2 is the name.......

i really really doubt this , if the games would come out say in 10 months , or if the game is now in beta ? there would be an elaborate website , screenshots , what the game would feature , people from the development team would maintain contact with the forum , and there should have been a FAQ . but there isnt any ! this can mean only two thinks 1 the game is still in alpha and the basics of what might be in SHIII is not yet sure so they cant promiss anything and this i why we only get silence . and if this is the case its highly probable that the game wont be out before the end of this year . 2 it might also be so , that the game was cancelled for whatever reason which we all know is still very realistic given the fact that the only thing we got is a couple of screenshots . it happened before with boomer ( the ssbn sim ?) allthough i never saw any screenshots of this game but at least they had a website .
NeonSamurai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No that isnt often the case, the web site and game development process are almost always totaly unrelated to each other as its generaly the producer not the devloper that handles web page stuff. Also they probably dont yet have much to give out as far as information as they probably dont know for sure themselves.

A web page for a game can pop up at any time from before pre alpha to at the end of beta, and they can be anything from a single page with virtualy no info to multi page with lots of detail. It depends entirely on what the publishing house wants to do.

As for the development time period, Usualy pre alpha (after initial development, conception phase etc) takes the most time, building the engine or tweeking an existing engine for the new game, putting in very basic graphics and place holders and getting it all working in very general terms. Alpha stage you then start putting the game together, puting in the final graphics, sounds and replacing any other placeholders with what you intended, and making and putting in the major features (missions, maps, campaigns, etc). After that you go to the Pre beta and beta stages where the game gets polished and hopefully bug free as possible, then it goes to gold where the game is made into a master disk and printing out copies starts, and the game gets released.

As for the time it takes to release, a game like this could easily go from pre alpha to release in 6-10 months depending on where they are at in the pre alpha. Alpha usualy will take about 4-8 months for this type of game, Beta 1-2 months for this type of game, and gold to release takes a few weeks to a month. Games take about 1-2+ years to come out (depending on if its a new engine or not and how extensive the engine is and if the engine is going to be a one shot one or used for multiple games. ie unreal engine, quake engine, halflife engine etc.) and about half that time is spent in the concept and initial development (game engine) phases.

Lastly publishers like to say a game is going to be released at the earliest time in the time frame they try to establish. They generaly dont meet the first or even second estimate.

Boomer was vaporware so of course it had a webpage Smile Webpages have absolutly nothing to do with development, just sales and advertizing.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: