Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Medals, Insignia, and uniform accutrements
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Iīd like to point out that the Swastika discussion should take into account the fact that the symbol has different connotations for Europeans (especially Germans) and US citizens.

Iīm under the impression things are getting mixed up here a bit. The Swastika flag seen on U-Boats etc. canīt be compared to any other nationīs flag like the Union Jack or Stars and Stripes.

The German flag has always been what it is today, black, red, gold.

The SWASTIKA flag on the other hand does not represent GERMANY but NAZI GERMANY respectively THE THIRD REICH.

That DOES make a difference at least to people who know about the implications (mainly Europeans, of course), because pretending to be a German U-Boat commander sinking ships in WW2 is one thing (I personally can live with that as it is a simulation of a part of history), but pretending to be a Nazi in a game/simulation is just out of the question. Even if some/ maybe many, but certainly not all U-Boat commanders were Nazis (in an "active" and knowing way), it doesnīt follow that it is okay to "play" being one "just for fun". Considering what happened to millions of Jews, old and weak people, and Germans as well (priests, gays, resistence, soldiers not following certain orders etc.) it would be a slap into their faces to superficially have the Swastika in a game (we are talking about entertainment here!).

The Swastika mainly represents Hitlerīs ideas about the superior race, it implies holocaust, concentration camps etc. I understand that a lot of Americans do not see these implications (why should they?) so itīs okay for them to have the Swastika for historical reasons. But you must also accept that for many Europeans it has a different meaning and I guess many people would feel very uncomfortable with it. I wouldnīt want to explain to a Jew how it feels to spend my spare time pretending to be one of the guys who wanted the holocaust.

You see itīs a question of AWARENESS rather than censorship.

Itīs all a matter of cultural and historical background and values of course. The fuss they make about Janet Jacksons bare breast in that show might serve as an example: itīs a scandal for those Americans who are very much influenced by their Puritan tradition (Mr. Bush is THE Puritan personified, just consider his use of the word "evil"), while most people in Europe wouldnīt even notice and surely wouldnīt give a damn about it.

So in conclusion I think everybody should have their Swastika mod if they want it for historical accuracy, but you should understand that it definately has different meanings to different people, so the question shouldnīt be treated thoughtlessly.

Cheers, AS
Drebbel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said !
Sniper_1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: historical accuracy.. Reply with quote

Well said AS, i for one had no issue with how SH2 dealt with the problem. And the fact that any number of people on this forum can 'mod' swastica's (if you want them). We need to be cognesent of peoples sensitivities on this matter.
Heibges

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Didn't the Kriegsmarine in WWII choose not to use the Hitler salute?

2. Didn't the captain of the Sharnhorste[sic] choose to commit suicide under the German Imperial Flag?
AS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The U-Boat crew referred to itself as "Freikorps Dönitz" which loosly translates like "personal army of Dönitz", they didnīt use the Hitler salute and always were priviledged (e.g. they had the best food available on thir patrols). Dönitz had a very close relationship to "his" commanders and crews. So you can see from this that the U-Boats had a somewhat different status.

Cheers, AS
Oskar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Drebbel,

Quote:
Although I want a sim to be realistic as possible I do prefer a non-swastika game. That makes it easier to forget one is playing for the wrong side.

I could not have said it better!
Itīs enough to have a red flag with a white dot and the iron cross is not a nazi orden anyway, so leave their signs away!
There are so many other, more important things in this game to do!
OSKAR***
Heibges

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in the Programming Standards of all large software publishers, that the swatsikas are removed from any game being shipped to Germany. Localization QA teams, at these companies, make sure they are all removed. You also have to remove any likenesses of Hitler.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: