Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

more eye candy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navarre

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@AS All your postings here have a negative touch and the appearance as if they were written by you only to get also negative and agressive reactions, if you don't like SHIII as it will be, no one here will forces you to buy it. Trust me, 90% of the subsim fans here would buy a game with old SHII graphics if it has the gameplay of AoD. :wink:

Accept it, this is a community of player who have interest in technical subsims and deeply gameplay rather than winning an art contest with the games.
Oesten

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble is, Navarre, the hardcore subsim community represent only 5% (at most, it could easily be less) of the total number of consumers who purchased Silent Hunter 2.

The SH3 developers HAVE to aim at the mass market to make the game commercially profitable. The way to do that is through graphics, most people buy games on the strength of looking at the screenshots on the back of the CD jewel case or in a games magazine.

The hardcore crowd can post all they want about a dynamic campaign, but UBI can't afford to listen ONLY to us - if they do they'll lose a lot of money.
Drebbel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oesten wrote:
Trouble is, Navarre, the hardcore subsim community represent only 5% (at most, it could easily be less) of the total number of consumers who purchased Silent Hunter 2.

Interesting figure, where did you get that ?
Leif...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@AS
I agree, a sailing simulator does have a small market and they do have surprisingly nice graphics so obviously it can be done. On the other hand the simulation part is a lot lighter.

And no the “Virtual Sailor” pictures above is not on par with the current screenshots of SH3, technically they are not even close. Also we haven’t seen the final product yet so it’s a bit early to be really upset.

And naturally I too want the best graphics possible today (I’m a graphics junkie myself) but unfortunately I don’t really think were going to get it.

Leif…
Oesten

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silent Hunter 2 sold over 300,000 copies (read that on the net) and there are 3300 members in the subsim forums, no more than half of which can possibly be still active members of the community.

Drebbel wrote:
Oesten wrote:

Interesting figure, where did you get that ?
Drebbel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you forget that many hardcore subsimmers are not meeting on the web. And that there are also many active subsim communities besides subsim.

Do not forget Betasom/Italy and Mille-Sabords/France. To name a few.

And also Germany has many avtive hardcore communities. In fact Germany is one of the main markets of SHII. And we all know not many Germans are in the subclub.
AS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...as far as I know both SH1 and SH2 were a huge success in Germany, which doesn´t come as a surprise as the Germans are very fond of simulations and business/ building-up sims like Simcity and the "Anno" series.

Most German subsim fans will probably stick to German subsim-websites, there´s a nice one on SH2:

www.silenthunterii.de

Cheers, AS
Col7777

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a view using Seeadler's clouds in SH2, I've had some great effects combining his couds and using moving fronts.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: