Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Message to the DEV team

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfykes333

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Message to the DEV team Reply with quote

Dev Team,
When I got the news flash that SH 3 was really going to happen, I was totally thrilled. The fact that it was NOT going to be an American Pacific Sub Sim didn’t concern me too much. I started playing sub sim games with Sub Battle then Silent Service, Wolf Pack, SH 1, and now SH 2. There were some great things that each of the above had to offer and for some reason or another, was not carried over to the next sub game. For instant, in Sub Battle you could lay mines, a feature that no sub simulation game has bothered to emulate since.
The latest sub sim (SH 2) has some great things going for it.
Ship movement in heavy seas is modeled very well. 3-D view is a big help. When it comes to having no mission editor, DD’s with no back bone, and unorganized convoys, the software tends to be a disappointment.

Since the software for SH# is probably pretty far along in it’s development stage I would like to offer some considerations for what I would call SH 4.

Sh4 should contain the following:

1. An American Pacific Submarine simulation
2. Incorporate, mimic, or enhance most of the features which already exist in SH 1 into SH 4. Most important, a mission editor.
3. Harbor defenses.
4. Screen print capabilities for photo recon missions which can be inserted in a patrol report.
5. The generation of patrol reports directly from the ships log book into MS Word.
6. Mine laying operations.
7. Commando operations – insertion or extraction of a commando team, Coast watcher, or agent ashore. (Example, Insert a commando tem on to an island to gather info about enemy naval base. After a few days, the sub maneuvers under the cover of darkness, extracts the team and returns to base. If the mission is successful, the sub must return to the island and sink ships leaving and entering islands harbor.)
8. Ability to re-supply at friendly bases, sub tender, or at sea for long term operations.
9. Random equipment failure.
10. Individual engine control for both diesel and electric.
11. Two periscopes
12. The ability to send, receive, and decode coded or plain language messages.
13. Enhanced modeling of ships and their reaction to heavy seas, torpedo damage, and sinking.
14. Allow the entire software package to be loaded on your hard drive from the CD.
15. Coordinate attacks and missions with other allied units.
16. Let attacking DD’s run out of depth charges ( it’s just NOT fair.)

Future considerations
I think if you create SH 4 and it has the intelligence to allow for future add on such as a sub sim that features British, or Dutch, or Australian or a Japanese I-400 sub sim, Your company will far ahead of others in furthering the art of Submarine Simulation. Stay on course.
Maurice
Overkill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can hear the first sounds of SH4 on the sonar. Very Happy

Great imput, mfykes333.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: