Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Uboat Speedometer

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Imperial U-Flotilla 1914-1918
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eaj13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Uboat Speedometer Reply with quote

A model of Uboat speedometer (Wassergeschwindigkeitsmesser für UBoote) dated 1943. Could be interesting to search the equivalent models used in WWI(couldn´t find anything about this)

http://community.webshots.com/user/eaj1es

regards

Alex
Deamon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ALex,

i couldn't answer you in the last weeks becouse my system had a total break down and i was without internet conection.How was your travel to germany ? Did you finde something usefull in the library ?
Eaj13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:12 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Hi Deamon

I had a very interesting trip in Niedersachsen. Maybe next time we can organize some visits together. I first visited U 995 in Laboe, and made around 100 photos from little details. There I found an old Uboat Engineeer visitng the boat with his family. He explained some interesting aspects of the Uboat. He was responsible of Uboat construction in Black Sea during WW2, after the transport from Hamburg through Binnnenschiffe and Landstrasse(see Deutsche Uboot im Schwarzen Meer).

The most interesting visit was to the Scientifical Naval Institute in Hamburg (Peter Tamm Stiftung). I t seems to be the greatest Marine Private Collection in the World. Installed in an Old Manor Elbchaussee. Mr. Tamm a great naval collector since 1947, has the best Kaiserliche Marine and Kriegsmarine collection existing nowadays (impressive models, documents, uniforms, paintings and library one could imagine) far more interesting collection on Austrian K.u K. Marine than all you could find in Austria nowadays. Due to your connection problem I couldn´t offer you to come with me to visit this Museum, because it is not public open yet.I visited it alone with the Museum librarian, a very kind Sir. In the next years all this collections will be installed in a new public Museum in Hamburg Speicherstadt.

The most interesting thing where the WWI uboat impressive models and Oil paintings. And of course the diferent sections dedicated to Kaiserliche Marine Militaria. Also the original Uboat, guns, and other ships exposed in the manor yard, in front of the river Elbe.

I finately visited some Naval antiquarians and booksellers in Hamburger St. Pauli, founding some interesting Uboat pieces.

The last day I had an appointment with Deutsches Schiffahrtsmuseum director in Bremerhaven. I was very kindly welcomed, and guided through the colecctions, library and photo archive. I had a very interesting interview with photo archiv responsible. At least a visit to Uboat Wilhelm Bauer Type XXI in the same Museum area, learning very interesting technical details explained from the Museum personel

next time you should come with. I project a new trip to Uboot archiv Cuxhaven in the future

regards

Alex
Deamon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Quote:

I had a very interesting trip in Niedersachsen. Maybe next time we can organize some visits together.

Maby,i couldn't come with you this time anyway.Do you already know when you approaximatly will come to germany next time ?

Quote:

I first visited U 995 in Laboe, and made around 100 photos from little details. There I found an old Uboat Engineeer visitng the boat with his family. He explained some interesting aspects of the Uboat. He was responsible of Uboat construction in Black Sea during WW2, after the transport from Hamburg through Binnnenschiffe and Landstrasse(see Deutsche Uboot im Schwarzen Meer).

I have this book.You'r lucky with finding U-Boat people huh ? Have you his address ? And are this photos digitalized ?

Quote:

The most interesting visit was to the Scientifical Naval Institute in Hamburg (Peter Tamm Stiftung). I t seems to be the greatest Marine Private Collection in the World. Installed in an Old Manor Elbchaussee. Mr. Tamm a great naval collector since 1947, has the best Kaiserliche Marine and Kriegsmarine collection existing nowadays (impressive models, documents, uniforms, paintings and library one could imagine) far more interesting collection on Austrian K.u K. Marine than all you could find in Austria nowadays. Due to your connection problem I couldn´t offer you to come with me to visit this Museum, because it is not public open yet.I visited it alone with the Museum librarian, a very kind Sir. In the next years all this collections will be installed in a new public Museum in Hamburg Speicherstadt.

The opening of this new Museum is a great news.This is alot cheaper for me to travel.I have received your mails but couldn't answer you but i couldn't come with you this time anyway.What a pitty

Quote:

The most interesting thing where the WWI uboat impressive models and Oil paintings. And of course the diferent sections dedicated to Kaiserliche Marine Militaria. Also the original Uboat, guns, and other ships exposed in the manor yard, in front of the river Elbe.

Was this guns from WWI ?

Quote:

I finately visited some Naval antiquarians and booksellers in Hamburger St. Pauli, founding some interesting Uboat pieces.

You bought something ?

Quote:

The last day I had an appointment with Deutsches Schiffahrtsmuseum director in Bremerhaven. I was very kindly welcomed, and guided through the colecctions, library and photo archive. I had a very interesting interview with photo archiv responsible. At least a visit to Uboat Wilhelm Bauer Type XXI in the same Museum area, learning very interesting technical details explained from the Museum personel

next time you should come with. I project a new trip to Uboot archiv Cuxhaven in the future

I hope i can come with next time.What about blueprints i have a never ending hunger on blueprints,did you finde something ?

And what about photos of WWI subs,any technical documents ?
Eaj13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Hi Deamon

I would like to return to germany next year, maybe in spring.

With some time for digializing, I will put the U 995 fotos in my Photo Gallery.

Concerning the Uboat engineer I couldn´t get his adress. But I´m trying to advance in Uboat experts contacts. I will engage the Society for U 995 preservation (Freundeskreis U 995 eV). This is a good way to make new Uboat expert friends and to help preserving the boat. The objective this year is to pay new "Kojenbezüge" for the Uboat beds.This society organizes a 4 days meeting each year and submarine tours and contacts with Uboat veterans are also in the program.

In the Mr.Tamm boats collection, I remember there was a Biber Uboat and a Schnellboot. WWI guns I couldn´t see. Maybe in his not exposed hundreds of items stock.

Concerning Uboat plans, blueprints, etc. All this stuff is of course in great amount preserved in this collection. But not yet organized to open access.

The old marine photo archiv in DSM Bremerhaven is very interesting and access and comanded copies are posible.

During my Uboat items search in old Hamburg harbour, through naval antiques I found great stuff but hard to be carried at home: G7 torpedo parts, battery containers, Uboot Schildern, maschine room lamps, dozens of Uboat personal objets recovered from Uboat wrecks in Danemark (I d´ont like this commerce with dead Uboat crews personal objects), etc. All very interesting and very expensive. Crying or Very sad

I only got some Uboat related books (specially logbooks transcriptions) in the good naval libraries in St Pauli harbour

thats it.

regards

Alex
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Imperial U-Flotilla 1914-1918 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: